Artist: Dr. Robert Tait McKenzie
Hwy 7 East
The six-foot tall bronze statue of an idealized Scout was created by Dr. Robert Tait McKenzie, a surgeon and sculptor.
The original of the Boy Scout statue was created as an 18-inch desktop statuette in 1914. He did it at the request of Dr. Charles Hart, president of the then Philadelphia Council, Boy Scouts of America.
In 1937, McKenzie created a life-sized version of it for the Philadelphia Council’s new service center. Today, McKenzie’s statue continues to honor Scouting in the United States and in other countries.
Hutchinson received the statue as a gift from the Northern Star Council. Valued at $20,000, six statues were placed in public places around the council’s territory as part of the 2010 centennial celebration of Boy Scouts of America.